PHPNW10 slides and new job!
Abstract: Summary of the PHPNW10 conference, Slides about my talk "Profile your PHP application and make it fly" and new job!
Last week I attended the PHPNW10 conference in Manchester, where I gave a presentation on Profiling and backend performance optimisation, a topic that attracted a lot of people. The room was maybe a bit small and it maxed out pretty soon, some delegates told me they wanted to attend but couldn't get in... Apart from that, the conference was excellent: interesting talks, old and new friends, and impressive organisation. Well done everyone!
For those interested, I published my slides online (sorry for the delay, I've been trying for a week, but SlideShare didn't seem to be working), you can find them on my Talks page or on SlideShare. I'd really appreciate if you could leave your comments on Joind.in if you haven't already.
New city, new job
I'm also happy to say that I recently changed job, I left Ibuildings to work with a team of amazing and dedicated people on DataSift in Reading, UK. I'm very excited about the challenges ahead, and about having to play with large-scale data filtering and content curation. Moving house meant not having internet access for a couple of weeks (eek!), so please bear with me if you wrote me and you're waiting for an answer. Some positive side effects of having no internet access: more time to read books, play music and a pleasant surprise: BBC4 Radio, highly recommended.
- On batching vs. latency, and jobqueue models
- Updated Kafka PHP client library
- Musings on some technical papers I read this weekend: Google Dremel, NoSQL comparison, Gossip Protocols
- Historical Twitter access - A journey into optimising Hadoop jobs
- Kafka proposed as Apache incubator project
- NoSQL Databases: What, When and Why (PHPUK2011)
- PHPNW10 slides and new job!